Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Two months to Mad Men, but who's counting?

Facebook reminded me the other day about the upcoming third season of our favorite show: Mad Men. Scoot your ass to the edge of your chair and watch the promo here.

Watching the promo then reminded me of this article that I read giddily in The New York Times Magazine on Sunday. And I couldn't help but wonder if the overwhelming popularity of Mad Men was somehow related to the demise of helicopter parenting.

I mean, did anyone see the episode where Don and Betty Draper get so hammered that they forget to feed their kids dinner? Am I the only one who saw that and thought it was a little bit awesome? Because it gave me a little sliver of affirmation that I'm not a terrible parent after all?

So what if they live in the early '60s. So what if they are fictional characters created in an air-conditioned room in Times Square. That episode still gave me hope.

If they are somehow related, does Mad Men have the power to bring the three-martini lunch back into vogue? If not that, then perhaps the three-margarita lunch?

Who's with me on this?

--Stefani


DISCLAIMER: Swizzle does not in any way condone the use of children for mixing cocktails, although it does entertain the notion from time to time. The fact that Swizzle's name is Swizzle is pure coincidence.




No comments:

Post a Comment